Monday, January 26, 2015

The character's flaw is their way to redemption

Jake Stewart
Retired contract assassin

You know what love requires?
Sacrifice.
You know what my job demands?
Commitment.

So you ask me of my flaw. I don't have any. No need for them. I'm damaged goods as it is. Figured that is enough on my plate. But God isn't without a sense of humor. Anyone telling you different is deluding themselves.
My profession is highly specialized. It is much easier to see myself as transporter. I deliver those who have had the misfortune of doing something revolting, stupid or chaotic. Most of the time it has to do with business (losing the boss money) others it was personal (usually follows under the category of a particularly hateful act). They called me the angel of death, a title I was, quite honestly, quite proud of. My reputation proceeded me.  It garnered me a respect that I may have not earned, but if it strikes fear into the black hearts of my enemies, or 'clients' all the better.  Of course, I raised the ante on some rather viciousness against my foes. But I leave that for another time.
It isn't for the weak or faint of heart. Speaking of which I do have one. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a monster. I do have feelings per se, but they are bottled up. Tucked away, hidden, and I dare not even try to open that shattered Pandora's box.
I prayed for years for the chance of forgiveness, and now am given this. Like I said, God does laugh. We just don't hear it, and if we do, the joke is on us, and that can be very impractical.
They call me the Ferryman, but the title is very misleading. Consider the source. They are not your typical bunch. But I digress and divulge too much. Let us just say that I transport the damned and most unkind to the furious Fates and God's wrath.
It is a bargain I am somewhat willing to do with great conviction. For for the grace of heaven's everlasting forgiveness, that could me taken to the other side. And let the Furies decide with their own brand of zealotry.
Ironic isn't it that this is my labor now, my eternal burden. But I go to work with a smile on my face. Better that than to suffer hell's harsh and frozen void.

Jake

P.S. Yes, God does love me.


No comments: